Sunday, September 14, 2008

choux pastry

Sunday... really tired and wana laze in bed. thank goodness gx was alert enough to roll me out of bed for my baking class! i rushed and packed my cooler bag and ran for the train. Lucky me, met my friendly teacher on the train. She was so kind to remember from our conversation on Sat when we chatted about pannacotta, she mentioned about the mango version and she went home she wrote out the recipe of mango pannacotta for me although i didnt ask for it. then she was nice to invite me to take cab with her to class.
On the way we chatted about the japan cooking school she attended... envy! yes she speaks japanese, cos to attend that school, you must be able to converse in japanese. i have checked for info about the school.
1st student in class, i not kiasu, its difficult to come here if you dun drive and dun intend to spend on taxi. if i took the bus, it comes at 10.26am and in last then 10mins i get to school, thus usually the 1st to arrive. i like to be early cos i get to read through the recipe. think about some questions that i may have. this is the time to ask questions to clarify my doubts, to understand better how to make it right.
then i spotted the message on the board for the class i am attending, didn't see the whiteboard yesterday. for choux pastry, my experience is that my puffs turns out pretty tough, thus i really wana get it in the right consistency this time. my kind fellow classmates who are also attending all 4 lessons, took a pic of me when i tried to pipe my 1st elaire. i was pretty nervous when i handled the piping bag. it turns out that i piped the smallest elaires among my classmates!
i was able to pipe out almost 8 elaires and 10 puffs! i alone filled up the whole tray! the puffs turned out just the right texture and soft. love the smell of fresh bake. i got to prepare the coffee mousseline while others prep the orange mousseline and chocolate mousseline to share. bcos we had extra coffee mousseline, chef nan piped the rest into shotglass and decor the mousseline with pinch of cocoa powder. it was a cool idea of how to serve another dessert using the same recipe. i piped only 2 elaires and 2 cream puffs to eat with gx. the rest i brought it home to do, if not the mousseline will melt and make a mess.
after class gx and i had late lunch at colbar. then we head to ikea to get myself a new small pot and was happy to find an utensil to do double boil. a great find! went home to fix up the whipping cream, mix with the coffee and orange cream, set the cream to cool till 10ish. i prep the melting choc for topping and started piping the choux pastry.
i had great fun with the piping! i felt ticklish to pipe the cream into the puffs and feel it grow in weight! so afraid i mit over-piped and burst the pastry! i did half and drag gx to try piping! after we piped each pastry, we coat the top of it with melting chocolate. i shared this dessert with my fil, mil and sil. its alot of work doing this but its really different to eat these homebaked sweets!

No comments: