Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mascotte au Chocolat

Sat 20th Septemeber
My 3rd basic baking session with Chef Nan. Mascotte au Chocolat = french for chocolate butter cream cake. we learnt how to make Genoise which is a low fat egg sponge cake. this to me was hard work. we had to keep whisking the eggs! tiring! bcos i didnt whisk fast enough... my cake didnt turn out as well... the height of my cake turn out miserable when my cake stood next to the chef's!


but when we did the Creme Anglaise, that saved the day... in french it means butter cream. with the cream i made the cake much taller! the box which i bought from daiso was really good. i like it alot, my cake fits on the tray given with the box. and most importantly it only cost $2!

compared to the chef Nan's cake... my cake which didnt have enough air incorporated and prob i overcooked the eggs alittle... wasn't as soft as the one she made. her cake raise up so evenly and she was able to cut the cake into 3 portions. the genoise was so soft...

went back to mum's after canapes class. gx was so nice to stay back in the office till 6pm... he came to fetch me after work... natasha, my little twin took pics of me and my cake. after 3 try and she managed by herself this perfect shot.

a cross-section of the cake i made... still looks good to me, just that its not as soft as the one Chef Nan made. one more session to go! its challenging but i am excited to do the next cake! but i feel alittle sad that our baking sessions with chef Nan and 4 other classmates will end later... i have signed up for more classes one in oct, another in 2 lessons in nov and still thinking if i should attend the one in dec...

No comments: